Monday, January 21, 2008

I really enjoyed "Autobiography of Red"; I found it really refreshing & interesting in style and structure, as well as in content. I thought it was really original, and its flow and style really got me. It totally kept me reading to the end. But I think I especially enjoyed its basis in Greek myth. I'm not sure how many people are familiar with Greek/Roman mythology, but I've always found it pretty engaging, so it was cool to see the myth of Geryon and the Tenth Labor of Herakles (aka Hercules) translated into this story and style. I appreciated the flipped protagonist-antagonist relationship (Geryon as the protag and Herakles as the antag)--it even gave the myth this cool new dimension--like it challenged a lot of other myths that I know. If Geryon could be the "good guy", then it's totally possible that the other "monsters" from mythology were too. Sort of a "there's two sides to every story" thing. I know that Carson's work was just loosely based on the myth, but her new "translation" was really what got my attention. As a writer, it opened up all these possibilities, since there are an infinate number of myths out there just begging for a retelling, an update--something like what Carson did for Geryon. Really cool. I'm glad I got to read this, and got inspired by it. I don't know that I could write in verse, but it's certainly something to strive for.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I agree with you 100%, Christina...about the translation and flipped protagonist-antagonist relationship being so engaging. There are a thousand different stories and limitless possibilities for re-telling in a non-traditional way; non-traditional referring to form and the perspective of the story in general. It really gets you thinking about other characters (from any book) you may have had assumptions about before that are actually nothing close to the truth.