Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ann Carson

Reading Ann Carson's "Autobiography of Red" was an interesting experience for someone who has only been exposed to conventional styles of writing. At first, it was difficult for me to get into the flow of the novel and see it as one continuous piece of writing. That said, I thought that the language she uses is exceptionally beautiful, and certain passages struck me as particularly significant in the way she uses words to represent ideas that don't necessarily go together. For example, on pg. 84 she says, "It was the year he began to wonder about the noise that colors make. Roses came roaring across the garden at him. He lay on his bed at night listening to the silver light of stars crashing against the window screen." I found that throughout the novel, Carson describes ordinary things and ordinary acts in ways that make them come alive.

1 comment:

Kristle said...

I agree with you Peggy. It was hard to break the mold of the work we traditionally read. But the imagery was absolutely amazing and the "differentness" totally works. I found the sound of color to be very interesting and it made me think about color in a different form.