Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Anne Carson

After reading this book, all I can say is that I felt a true amount of sadness for the main character Geryon. I felt that he mostly wanted some type of love and meaning in his life, but was never given the ability to be understand who he was because of his environment. I felt that at the beginnging of the book, all Geryon wanted to do was love his brother and at the end, his brother ended up being the worst influence in his life. It was sad to be that as a young child he was constantly tormented of his lack of intellegence and his unwillingness to like his brother. For example, "Your stupid you can't tell time can you? How old are you anyway? What a jerk. Can you tie your own shoes yet? .....(30), and the torture continues thoughout the book. All I could do was just feel bad for Geryon, and hope that his situation would eventually change.

I felt that that the book was written in a way that at first it was hard to understand where it was going, but as I finished I began to really enjoy the structure and how it all came together. However, I was not too please with the sadness of the life of Geryon. Sure, it is suppose to be a book about the hardships of his life, but did it all have to be so sad? Why couldn't there have been more of a light at the end of the tunnel?

No comments: