Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Autobiography of Red

As I've said before, (and those of you who have read my own personal writing can attest) I don't do deep and ambiguous well. I have a hard time taking writers seriously who think putting four words and a semi colon on a page is a story. I like words, lots of words; to me brevity is not an enticing story teller. That being said, I have to hand it to Carson. I think she did a pretty impressive job creating an intriguing story through short verse. It was amazing reading it and thinking "I don't know what the hell is going on," yet finding myself turning the page regardless because on some level, despite the lack of context clues, I was intrigued by what was next. I understood just enough to keep reading and to, in a way, fill in the details myself. That is not to say Carson lacks details. What is ironic about her style is that every page is filled with detail, just not in a concrete sense of the tool. Beautiful imagery and descriptions are used to evoke emotion as well as character struggle but as far as setting-time, place, galaxy etc. the content was purposefully vague. It was a weird dichotomy of exactness and estimation all at once. I could see what she was saying I just couldn't for the life of me place it anywhere. Again, this both irritated and intrigued me. I found myself fighting the logic of putting clues together in an attempt to "figure it out" as I progressed further into the novel. By the end, I just had to come to the conclusion that it's not suppose to add up. The fact that monsters wear T shirts and have sex and for the most part live in a world not unlike ours, was a bit hard to picture but easier than I thought to accept once I made up my mind to let go.

No comments: